Sunday, October 4, 2009

Oregon Football Is Weak If They Let LeGarrette Blount Play Again!

At the end of the first University of Oregon football game this year, running back LeGarrette Blount sucker punched a Boise State player in the jaw. He then pushed his teammates that tried to restrain him. As he left the field, the Boise State crowd taunted him and he tried to go into the crowd. Blount had to be removed from the field by 4 or 5 people, a couple of which were security personnel.

In the days that followed, Oregon head coach Chip Kelley announced that Blount would not play in another game this season, which is Blount's senior season. The President of Oregon as well as the Pac 10 Commissioner applauded the move and strongly backed Kelley.

Well, now Kelley has announced that Blount may return if he continues to follow guidelines set out by the university. HUH? No way. I cannot let a player that embarrasses my program that bad return to play. Yes, he can continue to be on the team and work out. Stay in shape and pursue a NFL career. But no, he cannot ever play in a real game for my team again.

Information has surfaced according to collegefootballtalk.com, that Oregon caving on the punishment could be linked to a threat from Blount's parents of a possible lawsuit. I recommend you read the articles on collegefootballtalk.com. I literally became nauseated by the story.

Sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Second chances are allowed. However, Blount's second chance was used in advance when while being removed from the field after the first punch, he tried to enter the stands after fans, some of which may have been paying customers.

Apparently everyone is controlled by money. Sorry, I need to be able to look at my self in the mirror and go to bed with a clear conscience worse than I need money. If you cave in to this threat of a lawsuit, where do you draw the line? Because this will only open the door for more lawsuits and challenges. Players and their families will be trying every way in the world to trump Coaches' and Universities' authority. The T.O.'s of the world don't stop until they are the only authority.

Chip Kelley and the University of Oregon should find some testicular fortitude and stand by their disciplinary action. Tell the Blount's and any lawyers, do what you gotta do because we are gonna do what we have to do and that is uphold the season long suspension.

I am sure Oregon will eventually settle at best rather than face a lawsuit. But as for me, if I were in charge at the University of Oregon, we would say go ahead, sue us. LeGarrette Blount you may win a lot of money from me in a lawsuit but I will have something more valuable than money to you. I will have your senior season which you can never get back. By the time this thing gets through court, the football season will be over and your eligibility completely gone. Oh, and once you file that lawsuit you are banished from any and all contact and participation with the team that you would have had. More important than any of this, I will be sending the correct message to my current players, recruits and their families, alumni, supporters, boosters, faculty, students, and fans. That is, as the head coach of Oregon I will see that the players, staff, and myself will conduct ourselves in a manner that will not embarrass or humiliate the students, faculty, administration, boosters, or fans. In addition, I will see that the behavior of everyone associated with Oregon football will bring a sense of pride to our fans and not a sense of shame.

Sometimes, just doing the right thing will require that you dig deeper and find the utmost courage, guts, and character. That straight and narrow path can be very lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment